Sunday, December 20, 2009

Macaroni and cheese recipes/favs.?

I would like to make macaroni and cheese from scratch. Not scratch like i would have to make the noodles myself but scratch like make my own cheese. What is a simple/easy recipe for mac and cheese. Any other favorites would be good too. Thnx in adv.





I also dont want to use velveeta or anything.Macaroni and cheese recipes/favs.?
1 (7 oz.) box of macaroni, uncooked


Salt %26amp; pepper


1 tbsp. melted butter


1 1/2 lb. grated Cheddar cheese





In 9 x 13 inch cake pan, mix all ingredients well. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.Macaroni and cheese recipes/favs.?
I make a lowfat one that turns out really well. Add about 3 cups of 2% milk to a saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer. Add half a brick of nonfat cream cheese. Let it soften and stir it in as well as possible. Season with paprika, cayenne pepper and thyme. Add 2/3 a small bag of sharp 2% cheddar and stir.





Cook 2 1/2 cups dry pasta. Drain and drip away as much of moisture as possible. Pour into pot with cheese mixture and stir until pasta completely covered. Pour into a dish and cover with remaining cheese and breadcrumbs / chopped bread. Bake until brown on top.





Most good mac %26amp; cheese require you to make a roux, or flour cooked in butter / oil. In this, the cream cheese does the job.





All amounts are approximations since I just eyeball it.
Mine always turns out great and it is pretty easy to assemble. I alway make a big casserole dish when I bake it.





I pre-cook my macaroni until it is almost done. It will finish cooing in the oven.





Drain and add to a pre-sprayed casserole bowl big enough to hold that, the egg, cheese and milk.





Salt and pepper your macaroni to taste.





Whisk a couple of eggs and milk together and pour over the macaroni and blend well.





Add sharp cheddar and montery jack cheese. I buy mine already grated, or any cheeses you like.





Add to the macaroni and blend in well.





Pour remaining milk to the top and put un-cooked sliced bacon all over the top and bake @ 375-400 degrees until set.





I always take mine out before it is completely done because it finishes setting while on the counter and keeps it from drying out.

No comments:

Post a Comment