Thursday, December 24, 2009

Does anyone have a recipe for Macaroni and Cheese w/no milk?

We have some Latose Intolerent people in our familyDoes anyone have a recipe for Macaroni and Cheese w/no milk?
I have a lactose intolerance. Whether or not you can tolerate the other dairy products besides milk, such as sour cream, cheese, cream cheese etc, depends on how severe is your intolerance. I can have sour cream, and real (not processed) cheddar, gouda and mozza with no problem. Cream cheese is ok in very small amounts. Now, I know other people with lactose intolerance who cannot tolerate any of the above.





To answer you question: I cook Kraft Dinner at least once every two weeks, and homemade mac and cheese at least once a month for my husband. He is a die-hard dairy boy, but what he does not know is that for the 8 months I have made both those dishes using rice milk! I find rice milk to be the perfect substitute for cow's milk, for my needs. I always buy ';Rice Dream'; or ';Natura'; brands. I have used rice milk in place of milk in a variety of baking and cooking recipes, and they come out perfect every time. The only thing I would say is for recipes where the milk would need to thicken a sauce, the rice milk does not react the same, so maybe add a bit less, say 1/4 to half less, depending on the amount called for. Happy cooking!!!Does anyone have a recipe for Macaroni and Cheese w/no milk?
I have made Mac and Cheese using soy-based cheese substitute and lactose free milk. You grate ot finely cube the ';cheese'; and melt it down with the lactose free milk (I used ';Lactaid'; brand whole milk). Proportions will depend on the cheese substitute you use. As a rough estimate, I would start with a cup of the cheese to about 1/2 cup of milk. This should be enough to coat the resulting pasta from cooking 1/2 pound of dry pasta (spirals or elbows work best). If you cannot fond Lactaid milk, you could try plain soy milk. I don't think it would be as good though. Bon Appetite!





Edit 1) Just saw your additional info. You can use soy milk or even try some non-dairy creamer in place of the milk.
I use Butter %26amp; Hot water if I do not have milk...





The best means is to put the butter in while the mac is still hot, like after you strain it.


Then hit up the water after you have put in the cheese packet, as it will desolve most of the contents. Only use a smaller amount, because it is better to have not enough, and need to add a tad more, than to add to much, and make it crappy.





merry christmas (:
I believe yogurt has very little lactose, so you could try that. It gives Mac n Cheese an extra tang that's really good, as well.





Another option would be to use chicken broth and pureed butternut squash. I love butternut squash mac n cheese. I use milk instead of chicken broth, but chicken broth would work well, too, if you include the squash.
I'd recommend making an entirely different dish.


You can't make a bechamel sauce without milk, and cheese has lactose in it also.





I guess you could try using Lactaid brand milk and cheese. I unfortunately cannot vouch for how it will turn out though.
Cheese has lactose in it too. So kind of impossible to make lactose free mac and cheese...unless you have special lactose free cheese AND lactose free milk (which they do make). If they are lactose intolerant, why not just make something else??
I'm lactose intolerant too, and the CHEESE also has lactose in it! .... You can buy shredded soy cheese though, and Lactaid or Dairy-Ease milk (which tastes just like regular milk)
You can sub chicken stock to make your white sauce... just use chicken stock instead of milk. Or, use Dairy Ease or Lactaid milk instead of regular milk.
just macoroni with cheese and leave some water in it and some butter
Just buy the lactose free cheese and milk and make the regular recipe.
Try using soy milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment