Sunday, December 20, 2009

Can I replace Cheddar with Mozzarella in Macaroni and Cheese recipe?

Would it still taste good? What can I expect?Can I replace Cheddar with Mozzarella in Macaroni and Cheese recipe?
(-: I did this once, and wound up with a ball of string cheese! I think my temps may have been off.





You know what I would have done? Made mac with spaghetti sauce, and then topped it with mozzarella, and baked it in the oven until the cheese was nice and toasty -- kind of like lasagna.





Oh well, life is full of learning experiences! Better luck with your next batch.Can I replace Cheddar with Mozzarella in Macaroni and Cheese recipe?
Yes, but it'll probably have a more stringy texture, as mozzarella is often pulled. It'll also be quite mild in flavour, so you may want to add something like Parmesan or Grana Padano to it.
I've tried this and it didn't turn out too well. The cheese was ok as long as it was really hot, but then it got kind of hard and not creamy at all when it cooled off.
It will be cheesy no doubt but will lack flavor. White cheeses have less flavor but tend to be more stringy when melted. Try 50/50 mix of cheddar and mozz.
It would taste ok. When I make tuna casserole I use mozzarella.

No comments:

Post a Comment